EXAMPLES OF INNOVATIVE PAIN THERAPIES OFFERED AT IPCA
Biobehavioral therapies (Self hypnosis, Stress management, Imagery, Counseling, etc.)
- Biobehavioral therapies (Self hypnosis, Stress management, Imagery, Counseling, etc.)
- Physical and vocational rehabilitation
- Procedures to reduce pain, including:
- Nerve blocks
- Spinal cord stimulation
- Epidural injection
- Neuroablative procedures
- Spinal drug infusion
- Radio frequency or cryosurgical nerve blocks
- Repair of torn discs – Intradiscal Electrical Thermal Therapy (IDETT)
- Joint Injections
- Advanced diagnostic techniques
WHEN TO REFER FOR IPCA PAIN EVALUATION/TREATMENT
Please refer to IPCA early, before multiple sub-specialty referals. We are the next stop when treatment in the primary care office isn’t working, or the primary care team isn’t sure what the options are. We will take it from there and make sure all reasonable options are discussed with the patient. We will coordinate any additional evaluations and consultations needed. We will do any additional prior authorizations for tests, consults, and treatment. This keeps patient care efficient, and helps to avoid unneccessary medical care. This also takes some of the burden off your office staff.
Some examples of when to refer to IPCA are:
- For Evaluation and treatment planning of subacute or chronic back pain and sciatica and headaches and neuropathies.
- For urgent evaluation of persistent (outlasting the immediate acute phase of 1-3 weeks) pain following a nerve injury.
- For help with pharmacotherapy (please do not stop prescribing and send the patient, please give us time to evaluate the patient
- For help determining if surgical evaluation is needed
- For evaluation of any painful condition where straightforward interventions done at the primary care level – such as medication, physical therapy, and complementary medicine techniques have failed to progress the patient.
- When you suspect that psychosocial barriers are stoppingimprovement in function and comfort.
- For evaluation of any subacte or chronically painful condition for which the cause is not clear. We specialize in diagnosis!
- For evaluation of any clearly understood chronically painful condition for which the range of treatment options are not clear. We specialize in developing complete, wellnes oriented treatment plans!
- When you suspect that specific pain relieving therapy may be helpful such as minimally invasiveinterventional techniques like IDETT, thermal annuloplasty, vertebroplasty, neuromodulation, pain injections, .
- When you suspect that cognitive therapy such as biofeedback and relaxation training may help.
- When neck pain following whiplash that persists past 2 months
- For Zoster-associated pain, the earlier the better.
- For painful diabetic neuropathy
- For further headache evaluation
- For compression fracture pain
Who can benefit from a referral to IPCA?
We work with patients of all ages, including children, who have sub-acute or chronic pain related to:
- Arthritis: Inflammation of joints
- Recent onset or chronic Back Pain/Sciatica: Muscle strain, nerve damage, muscle loss, osteoporosis, herniated disk or other sources
- Recent onset or chronic Neck Pain: Muscle strain, nerve, or joint problems
- Sports injuries.
- Complex regional pain syndrome: Intense, long-lasting nerve injury with pain typically in an arm or leg
- Peripheral neuropathy: Tingling, numbness, and pain in the hands and feet
- Postherpetic neuralgia: Nerve damage resulting from a viral infection
- Work injuries
- Fibromyalgia: Generalized pain felt in the muscles and around joints; often described as “aching all over”
- Interstitial cystitis: Pressure, pain, and tenderness around the bladder
- Facial pain
- Overuse injuries: Often in hands and wrists from computer use or repetitive motions
- Pelvic floor pain: Discomfort in the pelvic muscles